Recently I had to install a development machine from scratch. Like many developers I hate doing things twice, thus I summarized my experience in a few lines of command-line script. The script is divided to three logical parts:P.S. A few last words about licensing. I do not encourage anyone working with illegal software, the opposite. All the above programs, except Visual Studio and Resharper, are free. They were especially chosen for the small development projects and are free of charge. Visual Studio license can be acquired by applying to BizSpark program of Microsft, for more details . Resharper license can be provided for free by JetBrains for open source projects.
- .NET Development environment
Let me introduce Chocolatey: the magical command-line installer that made my life much easier since I was introduced to it. You need to install it once by pasting the magical piece of code to command-line console:
C:\>@powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted -Command "iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))" && SET PATH=%PATH%;%systemdrive%\chocolatey\bin - See more at: http://chocolatey.org/#sthash.6Kd97faR.dpuf
.NET Development contains
- VS2012 Professional. From my experience Professional edition is good enough for most of the development tasks. The Express edition is not supported by Resharper, so it is not acceptable for me.
- Resharper - needless to explain its importance here.
- Nuget Package Manager - same
- Resharper Nuget plugin - a very nice plugin for Resharper, that significantly made my life easier: when I type a class ,which is not referenced in my project, the plugin looks whether a corresponding package is already referenced is adds reference to that package (instead of adding reference to bin\Debug\some_package.dll )
These command-line lines install Tortoise SVN and VisualSVN.
You may choose any database, I chosen MySql for the small project I am working on. These lines of code would install MySQL server. Please note that root has empty password after the installation. It would also install a free SQL Client tool: HeidiSQL